Ramin Asgard began practicing immigration law in 1994, and currently serves as a partner at Bitman, O’Brien, and Morat, where he directs the firm’s Immigration & Global Migration practice. As an immigrant, Asgard is deeply proud of the countless contributions that immigrants have made to America, and believes immigrants bring vitality, entrepreneurship, economic growth, and new perspectives to our great country. For this reason, he values and appreciates the unique immigrant journey of each of his clients and is dedicated to helping every client realize their own American Dream.
In addition to his legal career, Asgard is also a veteran of the U.S. Foreign Service of the U.S. Department of State, with assignments including: Senior Foreign Policy Advisor (POLAD) to Generals David Petraeus and James Mattis at US Central Command; Director of Voice of America-PNN; Commercial Officer in Kabul, Afghanistan; and Founder of the State’s Office of Advanced Data Analytics. As a Consular Officer with State, Asgard served as Immigrant Visa Chief at U.S. Consulate General Istanbul & U.S. Embassy Ankara, in Turkey and as Consul at the U.S. Consulate General Dubai, in the UAE. During these Consular tours, Asgard conducted over 30,000 visa interviews for a wide range of visa types.
Asgard is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers’ Association, the Federal Bar Association, the New Jersey State Bar Association, and Invest in the USA (IIUSA). He also proudly participates in the innovative new immigration law online consultation platform, Lawfully. Asgard is a member of Phi Beta Kappa and the Council on Foreign Relations, and volunteers his service on the board of the World Affairs Council of Central Florida, the Turkish Heritage Organization, the American Muslim Chamber of Commerce of Greater Orlando, No One Left Behind – a veteran’s support charity, and Art of Hope – a non-profit working to address the Syrian refugee crisis.
He has served as an adjunct staff member at RAND, and as a Senior Fellow at the Atlantic Council and at the University of South Florida. As an immigration, foreign policy, and technology scholar, he has published, presented and moderated widely, including at the UBS CEO Summit, the Atlantic Council, the Stimson Center, the Council on Foreign Relations, Brookings, the Gulf Research Center, the University of Southern California, George Washington University, Georgetown University, University of Toronto, UCLA, Cal State-Monterey Bay, and on media outlets including CNN, NBC, ABC, TRT World, Al Jazeera, Al Hurra, the Voice of America, and The National Interest.
Asgard holds a J.D. from Tulane University, a Master’s in International Relations from the University of Pennsylvania, and a BA summa cum laude from Temple University.
HONORS, RECOGNITIONS AND PUBLICATIONS:
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Innovation Corps Grantee – USF, Orlando, FL – 2018
- Senior Fellow, University of South Florida College of Arts & Sciences – Tampa, FL – 2015-2016
- Nonresident Senior Fellow, Atlantic Council – Washington, DC – 2014-2016
- Special Achievement Award, Voice of America – 2012
- Secretary of State Award for Public Outreach – 2007
- Charles Cobb Award for Initiative & Success in Trade Devlpmt. – U.S. Dept. of State, 2003
- Superior Honor Awards – U.S. Department of State – 2009, 2005, 2004
- International Affairs Fellowship – Council on Foreign Relations, 2003-2004
- Hometown Diplomat Program – U.S. Department of State, 2003
- Meritorious Honor Awards – U.S. Department of State – 2006, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS:
- American Immigration Lawyers’ Association
- Federal Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Invest in the USA (IIUSA)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Council on Foreign Relations
- World Affairs Council of Central Florida
- American Muslim Chamber of Commerce of Greater Orlando
- British American Chamber of Commerce of Central Florida
- No One Left Behind